How TrailPilot Works
How it works
TrailPilot™ is a GPS-enabled mountain biking app for iOS that provides guided audio tours of mountain biking trails created by local experts. Unlike watching a YouTube video of a trail or trying to find your way using a map, TrailPilot rides with you. Let TrailPilot do the prep work for you.
You can see a map and description of the tour before deciding if you want to download it. The tour consists of a series of audio snippets that play in your earbud to prepare you for upcoming features, option lines, hazards, and turns. Your guide may also provide you with some local flavor, including interesting information about the area around you. When you're ready, start your audio tour and hit the trail!
In order to enjoy TrailPilot on your mountain bike, you will need:
- A recent iPhone. We've tested with iPhone 6s and newer.
- Earphones or a speaker. We prefer one wireless earbud. Please be aware of your surroundings.
- Location services enabled while using the app.
To enjoy the best experience with TrailPilot, it's helpful to:
- Have your phone mounted on the handlebars or in the top/outer pocket of a backpack with a clear view of the sky for better GPS accuracy.
- Use a wireless earbud. AirPods Pro in Transparency Mode are our favorite.
- Charge your phone beforehand.
You will need Wifi or cellular data to download the tour before use. After the tour is downloaded, it can be accessed for offline use. Only GPS is required to play the tour once downloaded. Most tours require less than 25mb of downloaded data.
You can start, stop and replay the tour as many times as you'd like once you have downloaded it.
Riding with our Ride Guides is like riding with a friend who really knows the trails, but the benefits are endless:
- Our guides always go at your pace. Waypoints trigger by GPS, not speed.
- No scheduling required. Take a TrailPilot tour any time you want with no notice or planning.
- None of your friends know as many trails as well as our Ride Guides.
- Our tours are free for riders!
For your safety
- Always wear a helmet.
- Be aware of the many hazards on and off the trails.
- Ride within your ability.
- Understand Trail Difficulty Ratings.
Want to become a Ride Guide?
We're on the hunt for riders who really know their favorite route well, and want to share it with others. See our Ride Guides page to let us know you are interested in making money while mountain biking!